Date: Saturday, April 6
Time: 9:00 to 3:00
Location: Memorial Library Room 126. (Click the link for more information about the Memorial Library location.)
Discounts: 10% discount for members of WHS, the Wisconsin State Genealogical Society, or Friends of Max Kade Institute.
Wisconsin Historical Society Members: Use your member number.
Wisconsin State Genealogical members: Use code WSGS19
Contact: Lori Bessler 608-264-6519 or email@example.com
This workshop always sells out. Be sure to register early!
Lecturer: Mary Eberle is a DNA expert and genetic genealogist. She formed DNA Hunters,®LLC in 2015. Her team finds people's biological parents, grandparents, and other ancestors. She is also an educator, a national speaker, and the author of "23 Best Tips for DNA Testing and Family History." Mary is a retired patent attorney with extensive DNA experience. Over 30 years ago, she began her scientific career. She developed DNA tests for transplant patients. Today, Mary clearly explains DNA by weaving stories, metaphors, and examples into her teachings. More about DNA Hunters LLC.
Adoption and unknown parentage can challenge genealogists. DNA can be a powerful tool for tackling these challenges and finding birth families. This workshop will discuss methods and resources for this work, including the following:
- determining relevant state laws for accessing original birth certificates
- predicting matches' relationships based on amount of shared DNA
- finding related matches: shared matches/in-common-with matches
- reviewing matches' trees to find common ancestors
- building matches' trees backward and forward in time to find possible birth parents
- developing and testing hypotheses for the possible birth parents
Two case studies will be covered that illustrate these steps.
THREE BOX LUNCH CHOICES
- Box 1: Ham, Swiss, Dijon Ailoi, Spring Mix, Rye Bread*
- Box 2: Smoked Turkey, White cheddar, Bacon, Tomato Aioli, Multigrain Bread*
- Box 3: Butternut Squash Spread, Grilled Vegetables, Greens, Spinach Tortilla-vegan*
*Gluten free bread is an option as well. Just let us know.
Each box lunch includes the following:
All of these come with a mixed salad/balsamic dressing (packaged separately), a chocolate truffle, kettle chips and soda/water. The drinks will be a mixture of some sodas and water. Attendees are welcome to bring their own beverage.