The first territorial legislature lawmakers huddled in the cold in Belmont, Wisconsin, during the fall and winter of 1836 to build the framework that would evolve into the state of Wisconsin 12 years later. Remember the state's beginnings with every sip!
- Color: White ceramic
- Shape: Classic/standard
- Size: 12 oz. 3.75" high
About The First Territorial Capitol
The first territorial capitol, located at Old Belmont, in present-day Lafayette County, was built by James Atchison out of prefabricated pieces shipped from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The shipment traveled down the Ohio and up the Mississippi Rivers by steamboat to Galena, Illinois, where the lumber was transferred to wagons and hauled the remaining 30 miles to Belmont. The building, measuring 25 feet by 40 feet, was two stories high and was lathed with split oak covered with plaster on the inside, making a very substantial frame building for the time and place. Learn more.