Size: Approximately 2.5" x 2.5" in diameter. The box measures about 4" x 4" x 3/4" high.
After a disastrous 1904 fire at the State Capitol, the Legislature solicited designs for a new capitol building. Reconstruction work on the new Senate chamber in the south wing began in 1910 and was completed in 1913. The crowning touch illuminating the new chamber was the three-story-high ceiling dominated by the exquisite circular stained glass skylight.
The distinctive glasswork is composed of translucent stained glass pieces in assorted hues arranged in 16 pie-shaped sections, held together by a metal framework. Natural light filters through the 28-foot circular leaded glasswork, which functions as an interior skylight for the chamber. It is framed by decorative plaster and sixteen lights described as a "ring of pearls." The perimeter of the glasswork is composed of 16 coffered panels, each centered with a golden rosette.
Appreciation is extended to the Wisconsin State Legislative Reference Library and the Chief Clerk of the State Senate. Appreciation is also extended to the Wisconsin Historical Society Foundation for facilitating the annual sale of the ornament. All proceeds from ornament sales go to the Wisconsin State Capitol Restoration Fund.
Note: The Capitol Ornament series is excluded from discounts.